In recent decades, due to rapid development of urban ground transportation system, as well as increasing transportation of hazardous material, bridge fires have become a major concern in the U.S. Fire hazard in bridges can result in significant economic and public losses. Traffic on fire damaged bridges is usually hard to detour and significantly affect traffic quality in the region. Further, a severe fire may result in permanent damage or even collapse of the bridge. While the perception may be that it is unlikely that a bridge will collapse under fire, a recent nationwide survey by the NYDOT has shown that nearly three times more bridges have collapsed due to fire than earthquakes. Our group is investigating the vulnerability of steel plate girder bridges to fire, and developing predictive formulas for various temperatures. In addition, we are studying the post-fire strength of weathering steel, frequently used for bridge construction, so that engineers can make important post-fire assessment decisions.
Partial List of References
- Glassman, J.D., Gomez, A., Garlock, M.E.M., Ricles, J.M. (2019). “Mechanical properties of weathering steel at elevated temperatures,” submitted to Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier.
- Glassman, J.D., Boyce, V., Garlock, M.E.M. (2018). “Effectiveness of stiffeners on steel plate shear buckling at ambient and elevated temperatures”, Engineering Structures, Elsevier, DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.12.012ISBN: 0141-0296
- Glassman, J., and Garlock, M. (2017). “A compression model for ultimate postbuckling shear strength at elevated temperatures”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Volume 143 Issue 6 – June.
- Glassman, J., Garlock, M.E.M., Aziz, E.M., Kodur, V.K. (2016). “Modeling parameters for predicting the ultimate postbuckling shear strength of steel plate girders”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier, Volume 121, Pages 136–143
- Aziz, E.M., Kodur, V.K., Glassman, J.D., Garlock,M.E.M. (2015). “Behavior of steel bridge girders under fire conditions”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier, Volume 106, March, Pages 11–22
- Garlock, M, and Glassman, J. (2014). “Elevated temperature evaluation of an existing steel web shear buckling analytical model”. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier. Volume 101, October, Pages 395–406.
- Glassman, J., Garlock, M.E.M. (2014). “Models for Analyzing Web Shear Buckling Response of Bridge Steel Plate Girders under Fire”, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Structures in Fire, Shanghai, China, June 11-13.
- Labbouz, S., Glassman, J., Garlock, M.E.M., Ricles, J. (2014). “Evaluating Weathering Steel Performance at Elevated Temperatures: The I-195 Bridge Fire Case Study”, Proceedings of the7th International Conference on Structures in Fire, Shanghai, China, June 11-13.
- Glassman, J., Garlock, M.E.M. (2014). “Post-fire strength assessment of steel bridges based on residual out-of-plane web deformations”, Proceedings of the ASCE Structures Congress, ASCE, Boston, April.
- Glassman, J., and Garlock, M., “Elevated temperature evaluation of an existing steel web shear buckling analytical model” (2014). Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier, Volume 101, pp 395–406
- Glassman, J., Garlock, M.E.M. (2013). “Extreme temperatures and bridges: the role of transverse stiffeners in steel plate girder fire performance”, Proceedings of the New York City Bridge Conference, New York City, August.
- Alos-Moya, J., Paya-Zaforteza, I., Garlock, M., Loma de Osorio, E., Schiffner, D., Hospitaler, A., (2013). “Analysis of a bridge failure due to fire using computational fluid dynamics and finite element models” Engineering Structures, Elsevier, Vol 68, p. 96-110.
- Payá-Zaforteza, I, Garlock, M. (2012). “A numerical investigation on the fire response of a steel girder bridge”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier, V. 75, p.93-103.
- Garlock, M., Payá-Zaforteza, I. Kodur, V., Gu, L., (2012). “Fire Hazard in Bridges: Review, Assessment and Repair Strategies”, Engineering Structures, Elsevier, V. 35, p. 89-98.
- Kodur VR, Gu L, Garlock M.E. (2010). “Review and Assessment of Fire Hazard in Bridges” Journal of the Transportation Research Board No. 2172, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington D.C. (USA), 2010.